Louisiana Flood Insurance Lawyers
It’s no secret that the insurance claims process isn’t easy. IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE EASY. Insurance is a business with a bottom line. Although most insurers aren’t actively trying to shortchange you, they won’t go out of their way to pay off as much as possible either. You’ve got to put in the work to document your losses, your MUST MEET YOUR FILING DEADLINES, and know how to negotiate with the insurers. You will have to put on your own evidence and provide estimates if necessary.
- Contact your flood insurance company – Do this IMMEDIATELY and make a claim. You must continue contacting the insurance company and stay on top of them daily until you have an adjuster inspect the property.
- Pay attention to the Calendar – Many people do not realize that under the National Flood Insurance Program you must file a Proof of Loss statement within 60 days from the date of loss.
- Obtain a CERTIFIED COPY of your Flood insurance policy
- Take Pictures – Documenting your losses is crucial in order to receive the appropriate amount to cover your losses.
- Take Videos too – If you have a smart phone that can record video this is also an effective way to document your damage.
- Complete a Proof of Loss Statement – This is crucial. You typically only have 60 days from the date of loss to file this. DO NOT WAIT TILL THE LAS MINUTE. Filing a proof of loss is no simple task.
- Use Certified Mail – When mailing documents to your insurer, send by certified mail so that there is proof the deadlines were met.
- Make a List – Make a FULL list of all lost possessions. Take more Pictures!
- Receipts – Keep ALL RECEIPTS of all related costs- Lodging, repairs, supplies etc.
- Document and confirm ALL CONVERSATIONS. Any time you talk to the insurance claims representatives, adjusters, experts, follow up with an e-mail so that all correspondence are recorded.
You could have a great out come without a lawyer, but if you have problems you can call us. It is always best to consider hiring professionals to assist you in the preparation of your claim. We can help by filing the Proof of Loss Form, Making sure all deadlines are met, hire independent experts to obtain the best estimates, negotiate offers and counteroffers, and if necessary file suit. If you need assistance, CALL US TODAY.
- Disaster Assistance – https://www.disasterassistance.gov/
- FEMA – Guidance on how to apply for assistance – http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4277
- Red Cross Flood Response – http://www.redcross.org/local/louisiana/flood-information